General Writing and Grammar Help/Enroll in, enroll on, enroll for

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following is correct and natural - "to enroll in something," "to enroll on something" or "to enroll for something"?

If all three are possible, do they convey the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Two of them are.  "To enroll ON something" is not.

Michael wanted to serve his country, so he enrolled in the army.

I have heard that Prof. Johnson is outstanding, and I intend to enroll for his advance writing class.  {NOTE:  In this example, "enroll IN" can also be used.

It is very difficult to say which one should be used, especially since they can be interchanged in many instances.  You would need to have a context in order to decide whether to use IN or FOR.

Here's a general rule:  To enroll IN is the most often used expression.

Another point:  When you enroll, there is a connotation that you sign your name to something, such as a class registration form, a petition, or any form [like the army's] that means you are "joining."

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt