General Writing and Grammar Help/"lead someone down the wrong road"

Question
Dear Ted,
I know there is an expression to "lead someone down the right path" or "lead someone down the wrong path". Can you replace the word“path" with“road" ? In other words, do the following sentences make sense?
1. My father led me down the wrong road when he encouraged me to quit high school.
2. My mother led me down the right road when she encouraged me to stop using illegal drugs.

Answer
Dear Glen:

*** Yes, "road" can be used in place of "path."  The usual reference includes the word "path."  But there is nothing wrong with using "road."

I have heard people say that they have reached a point where the path they are traveling splits into two different directions.  Supposedly, the path to the left goes somewhere [good] and the path to the right goes in the opposite direction [bad].  They must make a decision between going "right' and going "wrong."

The great American poet Robert Frost summed up this dilemma in one of the world' most famous poems:

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,  
And sorry I could not travel both  
And be one traveler, long I stood  
And looked down one as far as I could  
To where it bent in the undergrowth;         5

Then took the other, as just as fair,  
And having perhaps the better claim,  
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;  
Though as for that the passing there  
Had worn them really about the same,         10

And both that morning equally lay  
In leaves no step had trodden black.  
Oh, I kept the first for another day!  
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,  
I doubted if I should ever come back.         15

I shall be telling this with a sigh  
Somewhere ages and ages hence:  
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—  
I took the one less traveled by,  
And that has made all the difference.         20

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt