General Writing and Grammar Help/Come loose - come undone

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to come LOOSE" and "to come UNDONE"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

For instance, does a piece of clothing such as/like a bikini come "loose" or come "undone"?

BTW, should I use "such as" or "like" in the above question?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

For instance, does a piece of clothing such as/like a bikini come "loose" or
come "undone"?

*** A bikini could come LOOSE or come UNDONE.  Which one you use depends on the circumstances, but most of the time, they are interchangeable.

EXCEPTIONS:

My front tooth has become LOOSE.  [Teeth cannot be UNDONE.]

My dog's leash became UNDONE, and he ran around the neighborhood.

One of the cars on the roller coaster became UNDONE, and it crashed to the ground.

One of the cars on the roller coaster became LOOSE, and they had to shut down the ride.

*** General rule:  If it is really serious, use UNDONE.  If it is not, use LOOSE.

Ted

*** Such as

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt