General Writing and Grammar Help/Come to mind - come to one's mind

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following expression/phrases is correct: "to come to mind" or "to come to ONE'S mind"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Both are correct, and they have the same meaning.  "Come to mind" is the most often used, by far.

*** Each time I see that ugly woman, a vision of a pig comes to mind.

I have tried to forgive John for all the bad things he did to me, but when I think of him,  the terrible prank he did, resulting in the death of his dog, always comes to mind.

Close your eyes and tell me the first thing that comes to YOUR mind.  [This sentence works just as well without "YOUR."]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt