General Writing and Grammar Help/The PINK and RED colors.....

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences should I use in a business letter?

1) The PINK and RED colors will be ready for shipment by the end of the week.

2) The colors PINK and RED will be ready for shipment by the end of the week.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

#2 is really bad.  #1 is just OK, but you are not giving a full context, as you should in a business letter.

I assume that the recipient of your letter will know what "pink and red" refer to.  For a business letter, however, you should not rely on assumptions.

The pink- and red-colored ribbons will be ready for shipment by the end of the week.  [You can also use the longer form:  The pink-colored and the red-colored ribbons will be ready for shipment by the end of the week.]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt