General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Let's get back to basics

Question
Dear Ted:

Your revised sentence is the following:

"That sentence is suggesting that we leave whatever it is we are doing AND return to what we used to do."

My question is this:

Why did you use "and" before "return" and not "to," that is, "......whatever it is we are doing TO return to what we used to do"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

"That sentence is suggesting that we leave whatever it is we are doing AND
return to what we used to do."

My question is this:

Why did you use "and" before "return" and not "to," that is, "......whatever it
is we are doing TO return to what we used to do"?

*** I used AND because I joining two things of equal value:

1.  leave whatever it is we are doing
         AND
2.  return to what we used to do

There are many different ways this idea can be expressed.  I just used the one that immediately came to my mind.

Te

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt