General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Get to - The Drop

Question
Dear Ted:

I'm sorry to get back to you with the same subject but I need to clarify what my original question was. In the passage or excerpt below, I asked you to explain the meaning of "get back" and to find another or other verbs that could replace the "get to" below. I really do hope I have made myself clear this time. Again, many, many thanks for your kind help. Paolo

Here is the excerpt of the book:

"Harry," the lieutenant said. "Hang back a second."
Bosch looked at Chu and raised his eyebrows. He didnt know what this was about. The lieutenant came around from behind her desk and closed the door after Chu and Marcia had left. She stayed standing and businesslike.
"I just wanted you to know that your application for an extension on your DROP came through. They gave you four years retroactive."
Bosch looked at her, doing the math. He nodded. He had asked for the maximum five years non-retroactive but hed take what they gave. It wouldnt keep him much past high school but it was better than nothing.
"Well, Im glad," Duvall said. "It gives you thirty-nine more months with us."
Her tone indicated that she had read disappointment in his face.
"No," he said quickly. "Im glad. I was just thinking about where that would put me with my daughter. Its good. Im happy."
"Good then."
That was her way of saying the meeting was over. Bosch thanked her and left the office. As he stepped back into the squad room he looked across the vast expanse of desks and dividers and file cabinets. He knew it was home and that he would GET TO stay for now.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Paolo, one of the many meanings of "get" is "to be able."  Another definition is "to be allowed."  [To be allowed is, in many circumstances, a synonym of to get.]

The sentence means that, because the approval of his request for a delayed mandatory requirement to retire has been approved, he will "be allowed" or "be able" to stay on active duty with the police department for an additional 39 months.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt