General Writing and Grammar Help/If + subject + will + infinitive without 'to'

Question
Dear Ted:

When do you use the grammatical structure 'if + subject + will + base infinitive (infinitive without "to")? In other words, when do you use the future tense (the "will" form) in the "if" clause?

Would you please give me some examples?

Generally, doesn't a subordinate clause beginning with 'if' use the simple present, and the main clause use the future tense as in "If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'll go to the beach"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Would you please give me some examples?

*** I hope I understand this rather complex question.  EXAMPLE:  If you WILL COMPLETE all your assignments this term, you WILL pass the course.

If you WILL CONTINUE IGNORING the speed limit signs, you WILL end up with a speeding ticket.

*** The answer to your question is YES.  That's why my examples using IF clauses and the future tense [will + verb] were difficult to write.  I don't care for either of my two examples, and I certainly would NOT use them myself.  The problem is using the future tense WILL in the subjunctive clause that begins with a hypothetical IF.

They present a "grammatical structure" that is very dubious and certainly awkward and unnatural.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt