General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the word "unexplainable"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I'm using the words "unexplainable" and "unexplainably" correctly in the following sentences. In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct? What I want to express in them is that there is no apparent reason for why he committed suicide.
1. His suicide was unexplainable.
2. He unexplainably committed suicide.
Also, can you please give me a few more examples of how to use the two words.

Answer
Dear Glen:

1. His suicide was unexplainable.
2. He unexplainably committed suicide.

*** Your usage is correct in both sentences.  If something is "unexplainable," no one can put into words the reason why that something occurred.

EXAMPLES:

I looked at Prof. Johnson's test questions and found every one of them to be UNEXPLAINABLE.

An "axiom" is sometimes called "an unexplainable truth."

The police arrested the man for murder, because they found his alibi to be UNEXPLAINABLE.  He made so many contradiction in his own defense, nothing he said actually made sense.

Johnny, the worst student in the class, UNEXPLAINABLY got the highest score on the exam.

With no reason given, she suddenly and UNEXPLAINABLY dropped out of school.

** Glen, some people have trouble with certain words that seem to have been "invented."  The adverb form, unexplainably, is not mentioned in many dictionaries.  The preferred adverb is "inexplicably," which means the same thing.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt