General Writing and Grammar Help/Vote - vote ON

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "to vote something" or "to vote ON something"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The usual phrase is "to vote ON something." TO VOTE suggests that HOW you vote will follow:  I will vote "yes."  TO VOTE ON something actually requires a statement of what is being voted on.  The teacher has asked the students to VOTE ON where they want to go on a field trip.

EXAMPLES:  Tomorrow, the legislators will vote ON the proposed law.

They will either VOTE the law up or VOTE the law down.

I hope we get the opportunity to VOTE ON the proposed rules.  If so, I intend to VOTE "no."

*** My guess is that at least 95% of the time, the phrase TO VOTE ON is used.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt