General Writing and Grammar Help/Over vs. more than

Question
Dear Ted:

What is the difference between "more than" and "over" when the meaning is "in excess of"?

Would you please give me some examples in which it is correct to use "more than" and some in which it is appropriate to use "over"?

For instance, should I write, "OVER 19,000 people attended the game" or "MORE THAN 19,000 people attended the game"?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "What is the difference between "more than" and "over" when the meaning is 'in excess of'?" correctly written?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

First, let me tell you that, due to an infected tooth, I have been taking antibiotics, which affect my driving ability.  I have an appointment with my dentist tomorrow, and I hope to mail your package on my way to his office.  I am sorry for the delay.

****

*** In this sentence, either one can be used.  I suspect, that in most instances, the two are interchangeable:

EXAMPLES:

We picked MORE THAN/OVER ten bushels of peaches.

Here is ONE exception that comes to mind:  Twenty pies are MORE THAN ENOUGH to feed all of the people.  

*** When "enough" follows "more than,"  the resulting phrase cannot be replaced by "over."

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

*** YES

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt