General Writing and Grammar Help/HAVE or GET one's way

Question
Dear Ted:

What do "to HAVE or GET one's way" and "to HAVE or GET one's way with someone" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above phrases correctly?

BTW, is it "to have or to get one's way" or "to have or to get one's OWN way"?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

**** The phrases mean that YOU will prevail over another person or persons.  The literal
meaning is "My opinion or belief will win over yours."

EXAMPLES:

Because the party will be held at MY house, I will GET my way about when the party begins and ends.

When Jane and I argue, I always GET my way.  She gives in to me very easily.

He intends to HAVE his way with her.  [Be careful in using this one, Paolo.  The sentence means that he will dominate her, usually in a sexual way.]

*** Either one can be used.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt