General Writing and Grammar Help/Is the word "nitpick" a verb

Question
Dear Ted,
Is the word "nitpick" a verb in the following sentences and are all of the sentences grammatically correct?
1. Don't nitpick.
2. Don't nitpick me.
3. Stop nitpicking.
4. Stop nitpicking me.
5. My grandmother loves to nitpick.
6. My wife nitpicks me to death.
7. My manager loves nitpicking.

Answer
Dear Glen:

1. Don't nitpick.

*** CORRECT

2. Don't nitpick me.

*** CORRECT -- I've never heard this expression before, but it is certainly grammatically correct.  Don't nitpick me = Don't find fault with me.

3. Stop nitpicking.

*** CORRECT -- When you add the "-ing," you are no longer using a verb.  "Nitpicking" is the gerund form, which is a noun.

4. Stop nitpicking me.

*** CORRECT -- Also a gerund.

5. My grandmother loves to nitpick.

*** CORRECT -- "To nitpick" is not a verb; it is the infinitive form, in this case used as a noun -- the direct object of "loves."

6. My wife nitpicks me to death.

*** CORRECT

7. My manager loves nitpicking.

*** CORRECT  -- "Nitpicking" is the gerund form, a noun.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt