General Writing and Grammar Help/A writing question.

Question
Dear Ted,

How are you? I would like to ask a question.

I read of a sentence: The behavior of a person during his lifetime, be it good or evil, is accumulated over time.

Why donít write : The behavior of a person during his lifetime, whether it is good or evil, is accumulated over time.

Thanks!

Best Wishes,

Walden

Answer
Dear Walden:

*** You are correct.  The first version contains a phrase that is no longer used today.  "Be it good or evil" is the way many people spoke about two centuries ago.  

Your version is contemporary.  You are up-to-date.  Your version is much preferred over the original statement.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt