General Writing and Grammar Help/If/whether to go - if/whether going

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?

1) I haven't decided if/whether TO GO to Spain or Portugal next summer.

2) I haven't decided if/whether GOING to Spain or Portugal next summer.

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The second one is NOT a sentence.  You have a subject [I], a verb phrase [have (not) decided], and then a group of words that appear to use the gerund form [going] of the verb "to go."  The sentence is incomplete.

However, the first sentence is CORRECT.  The infinitive "to go" is used correctly.  And, the sentence makes sense.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt