General Writing and Grammar Help/GET TO

Question
Dear Ted:

At the end of your fine explanation of "The DROP," you wrote the following:

That's how I figure it out.  Maybe someday I'll GET TO read the novel.

My question is this:

Grammatically, what does "get to" mean in the above sentence? I'm asking this because I'm trying to think of a synonym for "get to," but nothing comes to mind.

Also, would you please give me some examples of "get to" used with the same meaning as you did in your closing sentence?

Again, thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

My question is this:

Grammatically, what does "get to" mean in the above sentence? I'm asking this
because I'm trying to think of a synonym for "get to," but nothing comes to
mind.

Also, would you please give me some examples of "get to" used with the same
meaning as you did in your closing sentence?

*** Think of my reading the novel as a goal to be achieved.  "Get to" means to REACH
that goal.  So, two synonyms are "reach" and "achieve."

EXAMPLES:

I have always wanted to visit Italy, and, eventually I intend to GET TO that beautiful country.

I had to postpone working on my doctorate, but, in two years I will GET BACK TO school in order to complete my studies.

Jack is on a strict diet.  He is hoping to GET his weight DOWN TO 175 pounds.

I am saving my money, so that I will GET TO take the world tour that I have always dreamed of.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt