General Writing and Grammar Help/Follow-up (2)

Question
QUESTION: Thanks again, Jerry, for your past help. Here's another quick question. One often hears/sees a construction like "One of the things are a and b." In fact, it's rare to hear a construction like "One of the things is a and b." Can one justify the former as reflecting "things" as the subject? If so, is either construction preferable?

ANSWER: Richard,

Since one is the subject of the sentence and is singular, the verb must also be singular, thus is. Things is the object of the preposition of and therefore has no bearing on the verb.

Jerry Leone

QUESTION: Thanks for your response. I believe however you overlooked the correction of my question (sent as another question). My question as originally posted included a serious typo, which changed the nature of the question. I'm sorry for the typo.

The question should have suggested that a justification for the plural verb might be a construction whereby the subject is "a and b." (The typo was my inadvertent substitution of "things" for "a and b," in that context.) Occasionally in fact one does see sentences that place the subject at the end. What do you think?

ANSWER: Richard,

I'm thoroughly confused by your question. Are you saying: A and B are the things. That would leave one completely out of the sentence. I'm very confusing. Can you restate your question.

Jerry Leone

QUESTION: I'm sorry for your confusion, and I appreciate your perseverance in the face of it. The question might have read:

"One often hears/sees a construction like 'One of the things are a and b.' Can one justify that as reflecting 'a and b' as the subject?"

As mentioned, subjects do sometimes follow the verb. So I'm eager for your opinion.

Answer
Richard,

One(subject)is singular; is (verb) is singular; a and b (plural) is predicate nominative and of the things is a prepositional phrase with things the object of the preposition of.

You could say: two of the things are a and b to be grammatically correct. One is always singular. Thing is singular but things are plural!

I hope this answers your question,

Jerry Leone  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone