General Writing and Grammar Help/gerunds

Question
Dear Ted,  

Would you please help me to understand the word “organizing” in the following sentence:

"The context of the conversation is that Donna and Rich are in Turin and are looking at a map of Italy with the intention of organizing a trip."

Am I correct in thinking that “organizing” is a “gerund” that is being used as the object of the preposition "of"?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

Would you please help me to understand the word “organizing” in the following
sentence:

"The context of the conversation is that Donna and Rich are in Turin and are
looking at a map of Italy with the intention of organizing a trip."

Am I correct in thinking that “organizing” is a “gerund” that is being used as
the object of the preposition "of"?

*** You are absolutely correct.  Your example also shows how gerunds can have objects,
because "trip" is the object of the gerund.  The adverbial preposition phrase in its entirety is "with the intention of organizing a trip." They modify "are looking" and they answer the question WHY?

You can also express the idea by using an infinitive.  Here's an example:    . . . looking at a map of Italy, intending TO ORGANIZE a trip.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt