General Writing and Grammar Help/Grammar Q

Question
Which:
"Its first emphasis is to preserve the opinion of the school's youth."
Or
"Its first emphasis is to preserve the opinions of the school's youth."

I thought plural, since they all have individual opinions, but my friend says it's the school's collective youth so it's singular.
Thank you for your help!
Darin

Answer
Darin,

Although youth is singular, "opinions" would be plural unless the meaning is that all of the young people share the same opinion.

Reason:  A group (collective) can have more than one opinion.

Example:  The opinions expressed by the Republican party aren't worth crap.

I hope that helps,

Jerry Leone  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone