General Writing and Grammar Help/Italicized phone conversations...

Question
Hi Mr Johnson,

My novel is in third person and my writing style tends to be at times omnipresent: I dip in and out of various characters POV's in a scene so the reader gets a clearer view of what is going on and what other characters are thinking.
In one scene there's a phone conversation between two men and it starts with the first man Thorpe speaking, then continues with 'John on the other end says,' so would that mean that John's dialogue is in italics? The reason I'm asking is because I then write about John interacting with his wife while on the phone to Thorpe, so the scene goes from Thorpe's room, to John's.
I have other conversations on the phone where I have italicized the person not present in the room but in this particular scene it goes back and forth from room to room, kind of like a movie scene. So should I italicize John's dialogue, or keep both sets of dialogue normal?  

Thanks for your time.

Lou

Answer
Hello Louise

1. You mean third person OMNISCIENT mode

2. Don't use italics for anything except emphasizing the occasional single word

3. It should be obvious to readers who is speaking - from the context and the content of what they are saying.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson