General Writing and Grammar Help/"pour in to" or "pour into"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I should say "pour in to" or "pour into", or if both ways are grammatically correct. In other words, do both of the following sentences make sense and are they both grammatically correct?
1. People are pouring in to the city from the countryside.
2. People are pouring into the city from the countryside.

Answer
Dear Glen:

I enjoy your comments when you rate me.  It's like we have an "inside joke" between the two of us.

****

*** Here is the basic rule from "Hodges Harbrace Handbook."

IN, INTO -- IN points to location, INTO to movement or a change in condition.  EXAMPLES:  We were IN Atlanta.  The prisoners were herded INTO a cell.

Since your example refers to the movement of people, the correct preposition is "INTO."  

After all the "pouring" has been done, the people will be IN the city.

INTO = the movement of changing the people's location from the countryside INTO the city.

IN = after the movement has been one, the people are now IN the city.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt