General Writing and Grammar Help/Go all out & go all the way

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to go all out" and "to go all the way"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

And when it comes to sex,  do they above expressions / phrases have the same meaning?

BTW, are they "expressions" or "phrases?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

P.S. The Braun package finally arrived this morning.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Happy BRAUN Day!  Now you can shave!

****

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Your two examples are infinitive phrases.  There are many instances in which the two mean the same thing, BUT there are as many instances in which they differ in meaning.
Here are a few examples of each:

TO GO ALL OUT -- means "to try as hard as you can," "to give your best effort," "to spare NO expense or energy to bring something about."

Even though Steven went all out, he lost the race by half a second.

During his last year of college, David set his goal to go all out in every class; consequently, he earned the highest grades in every class.

Jane is Mr. Wilson's only child.  When she got married, Mr. Wilson went all out, buying the best of everything for Jane's wedding and wedding reception.  The total cost of the wedding exceeded $10,000.

TO GO ALL THE WAY -- usually means to stay with something or someone until the very end.  When it is used as slang, it is a sexual expression, indicating that the couple actually performed the sexual act of intercourse.

In last year's marathon, Mark made it to the 25-mile post.  This year, he hopes to go all the way.

Even though the candidate for governor had no chance of willing the election, Mary was so impressed with him, she kept working on his campaign all the way to the election night.

When John promises to go all the way in his commitments, you know that he will complete everything he promises.  John NEVER stops halfway through.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt