General Writing and Grammar Help/GO beyond something - GET beyond something

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to GO beyond something such as an impasse" and "to GET beyond something such as an impasse"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to GO beyond something such as an impasse" and
"to GET beyond something such as an impasse"?

** Both phrases mean the same thing in many instances.  They both mean that a person CAN overcome or surpass some difficulty.  However, there are important dissimilarities.

GO BEYOND

In order to win the race, John must GO BEYOND all the other runners and cross the finish line first.

If John can GET BEYOND the last hurdle, he will win the race.

*** So, you can see how similar they are.  Here are two special usages:

The goal of the "Starship Enterprise" was TO GO BEYOND where all other spaceships had traveled.  [You cannot use "get" in this sentence.]

GET BEYOND

Jane greatly mourned her father's death.  With psychological counseling, she tried TO GET BEYOND this emotional barrier and start a new life.  [We use "get" in this instance because it signals the overcoming of an event in Jane's PAST.  "Go" could be used, but "get" is much better.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt