General Writing and Grammar Help/Call someone INTO one's office or call someone IN TO one's office

Dear Ted:

Is it "to call someone IN TO one's office to have a talk" or "to call someone INTO one's office to have a talk"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Dear Paolo:

Check out this web page:

If you are referring to entering a place, you use the preposition INTO.
Your two sentences are examples of this situation.

If, however, you mean that you must give or "turn over" something, you use the preposition and adverb = in + to.

I must turn my report in to my supervisor by 4:00 p.m. today.
Do not give in to temptation.

Thank you for the New Year's card.  I hope that 2014 has started off well for you!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy