General Writing and Grammar Help/Call someone INTO one's office or call someone IN TO one's office

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "to call someone IN TO one's office to have a talk" or "to call someone INTO one's office to have a talk"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Check out this web page:

http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/uncategorized/into-vs-in-to/

If you are referring to entering a place, you use the preposition INTO.
Your two sentences are examples of this situation.

If, however, you mean that you must give or "turn over" something, you use the preposition and adverb = in + to.

EXAMPLES:

I must turn my report in to my supervisor by 4:00 p.m. today.
Do not give in to temptation.

Thank you for the New Year's card.  I hope that 2014 has started off well for you!

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt