General Writing and Grammar Help/Have the chance TO DO sthg - have the chance OF DOING sthg

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "to have the chance TO DO something" or "to have the chance OF DOING something"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me a few examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

** You have sent me similar questions.  There is no difference in meaning, BUT there is a difference in structure.

In the first example, you have chosen to use the infinitive "to so."  In the second, your choice is the gerund "doing."

Gerunds, infinitive, and participles are the three "verbals."  They are words that come from verbs, but they do not function as verbs.

EXAMPLE:

verb - make

infinitive - I am trying TO MAKE a pie.

gerund -- I have two choices and one of them is MAKING a pie.

HOW the words function in the sentence depends on how you use them.  In my example for the gerund, I am using the gerund "making" as the predicate nominative referring back to the direct object, "choices."

Here is an excellent tutorial about gerunds and infinitives.  See how well you do.

http://www.englishpage.com/gerunds/

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt