General Writing and Grammar Help/Check, bounce back, return

Question
Dear Ted:

With reference to the question "What other verbs or infinitive phrases go with the word 'check'?" -- I should have written, "What other verbs or infinitive phrases go with the NOUN 'check'?"

When a check is not paid, don't you use the infinitive phrase "to bounce back" or should I use the verb "to return"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

With reference to the question "What other verbs or infinitive phrases go with
the word 'check'?" -- I should have written, "What other verbs or infinitive
phrases go with the NOUN 'check'?"

When a check is not paid, don't you use the infinitive phrase "to bounce back"
or should I use the verb "to return"?

*** YES.  Checks can be "bounced," which means that there are not enough funds in the checking account to pay the amount of the check.  That check is "returned to the payer."

There is a sense in which you can say that "the checked bounced back."  Usually, however, "bounced checks" are RETURNED unpaid.  "Bouncing a check" is an idiom.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt