General Writing and Grammar Help/Christian First Name Meaning.

Dear Sally‎

I would like to know whether Christian names for Men,Boys and Women, Girls have actual meanings.

For examples : John, Paul, Steve, Joel,Floyd, Michael, Andy, Gary, Scott, Clive, Martha, Jennifer, Susan, Margaret etc

if i am not wrong many Christian names for example Peter, Mark, Luke, Mathew etc are named after Saints which are mentioned in the Holy Bible - Old and New Testament.

The reason for my Query is Hindu Names - Both Men and Women have actual meanings. i.e. Prashant, Rajesh, Sunil, Suchita, Swati, Supriya etc are same Hindu names examples but they have actually got meanings. Many Hindu names are also named after Hindu Gods.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi, Prashant,

I can't speak for everyone in the US, but my experience is this: while many do use resources online and in books to see what first names "mean," most parents still decide on a baby's name based more on family traditions (who else has had a name and is alive or dead whom they want to honor) and personal preferences (they like how a first name "sounds" when paired with the surname, for example, or the first name belongs to someone they admire).

Some people make names up and then assign meaning (or don't; they just like the name for itself). Some give their baby a pre-existing name and have no idea what the name "means"; they just like the name.

Best to you.

Please rate my answer.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.

I can answer any grammar, writing, reading, editing and proofreading questions for nonfiction, fiction, literary criticism. I can also help in most content areas except for hard science and narrow areas of history. Specialize in E.S.L. , those with learning disabilities and processing problems. Clarity, fun, and simple answers as well as assisting with improving to excellence.

Many years teaching K - 12 and college-level writing. Degrees in education through doctorate. Published nonfiction and fiction writer.

Publications Google me

B.A., Elementary Ed., social science/language arts concentrations Experience teaching high school and college Master's and doctorate in education Writing instructor at secondary and post-secondary levels, including GRE and SAT preparation high scores on PSAT, SAT, GRE and National Teaching Exams

National Merit Scholar, 1971 Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude, B.A.