General Writing and Grammar Help/Christian First Name Meaning.

Dear Deborah‎

I would like to know whether Christian names for Men,Boys and Women, Girls have actual meanings.

For examples : John, Paul, Steve, Joel,Floyd,Michael, Andy, Gary, Scott, Clive, Martha, Jennifer, Susan, Margaret etc

if i am not wrong many Christian names for example Peter, Mark, Luke, Mathew etc are named after Saints which are mentioned in the Holy Bible - Old and New Testament.

The reason for my Query is Hindu Names - Both Men and Women have actual meanings. i.e. Prashant, Rajesh, Sunil, Suchita, Swati, Supriya etc are same Hindu names examples but they have actually got meanings. Many Hindu names are also named after Hindu Gods.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hello Prashant,

You are correct in that many English names originated from the Bible but some names are derived from other languages such as Hebrew.  I see that you have the reference for "Behind the Name."  I would go back and check for the actual name in the English Section.  You will see that most of them are derived from European languages (French, etc.).

I hope I answered your question... if not, please let me know.

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University