General Writing and Grammar Help/Drug test or drugs test

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "drug test" or "drugs test"?
By the

Also, what/which verbs should I use with the above compound noun?

By the way, is it correct to call "drug(s) test" a "compound noun"?

Thanks again for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, should I use "which" or "what" in the second question above?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is it "drug test" or "drugs test"?
By the

*** The usual form is "drug test."  That term is all inclusive.  A "drug test" may be used to find traces of many drugs, not just one.  The singular expression covers ONE drug or MANY drugs.

EXAMPLES:  A drug test is required for consideration of employment.

Olympic athletes are required to undergo drug tests several times during the games.

*** No, it is not.  It is a noun modified by an adjective.  A compound noun is two nouns merged to make a single such as "court" + "house" = "courthouse."  Note, that there are no spaces between the nouns in a compound noun.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Paolo

*** It's really your choice.  If you have offered someone a list of verbs, you can ask "which" verbs fit the sentence.  However, if no such list is presented and you are asking the person to think of all possible verb, you would ask "What verbs can you think of to fit this sentence."

I see no other difference.  "Which" implies something near to you, as if you have a choice of the apple or cherry pie sitting on the table.  "What" can be anything:  "What items do you like on the menu?"

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt