General Writing and Grammar Help/Fit something - fit into something

Question
Dear Ted:

Giving some examples, would you please explain when it is correct to use "to fit something" and when it is appropriate to use "to fit INTO something"?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the above question correctly written?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Giving some examples, would you please explain when it is correct to use "to fit
something" and when it is appropriate to use "to fit INTO something"?

*** "To fit something" means to insert one thing into another thing.

Jack tried to fit the round peg in the square hole.  He could not do it.
Jane's new sofa fit perfectly in her living room.

*** "To fit something INTO" usually means that a person or thing easily adapts to new
surroundings.

John tried to fit himself into a group of popular students at his new school.
When Mary tried on the new shoes, her feet would not fit into them.
Mary said, "I really thought that I would fit into these pants, but the waist was much too small."

Paolo, there are many instances in which "fit" and "fit into" can be interchanged.  The clothing examples above are examples.

However, another way to use "fit" cannot be made to use "fit into."

EXAMPLE:  The government tried to make the punishment FIT the crime.

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

*** YES.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt