General Writing and Grammar Help/Forget, forget of, forget about

Question
Dear Ted:

Are there any differences among "to forget someone," to forget of someone," and "to forget about someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** First, there is no phrase "to forget of someone."  The preposition "of" cannot be used in this situation.

The other two mean the same thing in most instances.  

For example:  I am worried that I will forget some people, when I make up the invitation list for my party. = I am worried that I will forget about some people, when I make up the invitation list for my party.

Other examples:

When I think back to my high school days, I forget many people who were my friends at that time.  [I can also "forget ABOUT" these people.]

Forget John; he is a bad person.
Forget about John; he is a bad person.

When you say "Forget John," the preposition "about" is understood to be there, even if it is not written.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt