General Writing and Grammar Help/Get a grip on yourself

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "(to) get a grip on yourself" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use this phrase/expression properly?

By the way, is it an expression or a phrase?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Happy 2014,

Paolo

P.S. Ted, how did your eye-puncturing surgery go?
Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Yours is my second question of 2014.  A man in China beat you by a couple of hours.  

******************

*** The words are an infinitive phrase [to get], but they are also an idiomatic expression.  In short, they mean "settle down" or "get yourself under control."

EXAMPLES:

When John started running around the classroom throwing books and pencils, his teacher told him TO GET a grip on himself.

Mary was so frightened before she was to make her speech to the assembly, she told her speech teacher that she couldn't quiet her nerves.  Her teacher spoke very calmly to Mary, "You will do well once you have started.  In the meantime, you must GET A GRIP on yourself.

Happy 2014,

Paolo

**** Because of the ice and snow here, my appointment was cancelled.  They haven't yet called me with a new date and time.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt