General Writing and Grammar Help/Human right activists or human rights activists

Dear Ted:

Is it "human right activists" or "human rights activists"?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Dear Paolo:

*** We generally think of "rights," the plural form.  If we are speaking of an individual person and the right he has, the sentence makes it clear that, in this case, we use the singular form:  "I have the RIGHT to protest against the government."

However, in your example, you are not speaking about ONE person; you are speaking about HUMANITY.  "Human RIGHTS activists" is the correct choice.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy