General Writing and Grammar Help/Instruction book or instructions book

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "the instruction book" or "the instructions book"?

What about "instructions's book" and "the book of instructions"?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

I HAVE BEEN WITHOUT AN INTERNET CONNECTION FOR TWO DAYS.  I AM NOW TRYING TO GET CAUGHT UP TO DATE.  I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DELAY.

*****

*** instruction book

*** the book of instructions

*** You may wonder why the singular is used in one case and the plural in another.  I wonder that, too, but, since I did not create the language, there's nothing I can do about it.

Paolo, I sometimes think that if I HAD CREATED the English language, it would be a lot easier to understand.  [That's not an ego trip!]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt