General Writing and Grammar Help/Lose hold of

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to lose hold with someone/something" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use this infinitive phrase correctly?

Also, what is or are the opposites/antonyms of the above phrase?

By the way, which preposition should I use after the words "synonyms" and "antonyms" - "for" or "of"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Would you please give me some examples of how to use this infinitive phrase
correctly?

*** The most often used expression requires OF instead of WITH.  

EXAMPLES:

John lost hold of the life saver and ultimately drowned at sea.

Jennifer is constantly losing hold of her temper.  She goes into a rage when even small, insignificant things happen.

John was able to hold the life saver tightly.  He maintained a firm grip on it; thus, he saved his life.

Jennifer attended an anger management class.  After that training, she was able TO CONTROL her emotions.

By the way, which preposition should I use after the words "synonyms" and
"antonyms" - "for" or "of"?

Use OF.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt