General Writing and Grammar Help/Over [meaning of]

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you pleas explain the meaning of "over" in the passage below?

The British system, by contrast, still carries the imprint of its origins in monarchy: Officially, it remains "Her Majesty’s Government," not the people’s. Power still emanates from the top and flows downward, with the public allowed a peek only when the state chooses. It means that Brits can be quite resigned toward the level of government power OVER, and intrusion into, their lives — because they don’t really see government as their servant in the first place. Britons remain subjects, not citizens.

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

The British system, by contrast, still carries the imprint of its origins in
monarchy: Officially, it remains "Her Majesty’s Government," not the people’s.
Power still emanates from the top and flows downward, with the public allowed a
peek only when the state chooses. It means that Brits can be quite resigned
toward the level of government power OVER, and intrusion into, their lives —
because they don’t really see government as their servant in the first place.
Britons remain subjects, not citizens.

*** "Power over" means that the people are subjects to the queen.  The monarchy is invested
with power, which the people do not have.  Because they are "subjects" only, the people have little or no "control" over their lives.  The government, represented by the monarchy, HAS that control, so it has power OVER the people.  The next statement says that intrusions by the government can be made into the lives of the subjects.  The government rules; the people are ruled.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt