General Writing and Grammar Help/meaning of the expression "no sense of direction"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I understand the meaning of the expression "no sense of direction" correctly. I think it means the following: I have no goals, or clear goals, in my life. I haven't "found myself", I haven't discovered what I'm good at, what interests me. Is my understanding of the expression correct? In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. I have no sense of direction.
2. I have no sense of direction in my life.
3. I have no sense of direction in life.

Answer
Dear Glen:

HERE'S AN INTERESTING HAPPENING:  Allexperts sent me an invitation to test a new program
they have invented.  Their reasons for my being invited are these:  I have consistently been the highest rated expert in the grammar and writing category.  The second reason was a quoted statement from YOU, thanking me for all the ways I had helped you.

So, thank you, Glen!

Ted

**************************

I'm not sure if I understand the meaning of the expression "no sense of
direction" correctly. I think it means the following: I have no goals, or clear
goals, in my life. I haven't "found myself", I haven't discovered what I'm good
at, what interests me. Is my understanding of the expression correct? In other
words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. I have no sense of direction.

*** Sentences 2 and 3 are definitely correct.  Sentence 1 "could" be correct, but I
recommend that you not use it.

The meanings you have listed for the expression are correct, and because you use the prepositional phrases "in my life" and "in life," you have adequately given the general
environment for using the expressions.

However, many people get hopelessly lost when they are trying to get to a physical place.
For example -- "On his trip to Chicago, John got lost three times.  He has no sense of direction."

In this example, John's problem is not with his "life."  John just has difficulty knowing north from south or following directions or reading a map.

If you are talking about the purpose of a person's life, make sure that you add this specific notation after you write "no sense of direction."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt