General Writing and Grammar Help/parsing

Question
"Dear Ted,

I tried asking this question yesterday.  I think I may be having computer problems.  Just in case you did not receive it  -    I thought I would try again.

Dear Ted,

Would you please help me parse the following sentence:
“How many bicycles are there?”

I am wondering if “bicycles” is the subject of this sentence.

Thank you.  

Sincerely,
Rich"

Answer
Dear Rich:

I did answer this question, yesterday.  Here is a copy of my message:

Dear Ted,

“How many bicycles are there?”

Thank you.  

Sincerely,
Rich
Answer:   Dear Rich:

“How many bicycles are there?”

** You are correct.  If you make the sentence into a declaration instead of question, you will have "bicycles are how many."  The "throwaway" word is "there," called an expletive because it has no grammatical relationship to the rest of the sentence.  I always discourage writers from using such words as "there" and "it" as the subjects of sentences, because they are very weak.

Parsing --

bicycles = subject
are = verb
many = adjective
how = adverb, qualifying the adjective "many"

If you enter this sentence into the sentence parsing site I gave you, you will see that "there" is put on a separate line away from the main clause.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt