General Writing and Grammar Help/rather than

Question
QUESTION: Hi

How are you?

Which one is correct and why?

At the moment, trustees are hoping to cut costs rather than ....... taxes or fees."

a) to raise
b) raise
c) raising

Thanks

ANSWER: HI, Hame,

a) to raise
b) raise
c) raising

Thanks

Correct answer is "B" because you already are using the infinitive form in "to cut" and this is a continuation of that phrase.

Best to you,

rank my answer, please.

Sally

QUESTION: Hi. I'm afraid I didn't understand your reason. I myself think C) is correct because RATHER THAN in this sentence means INSTEAD OF and as you know, after INSTEAD OF we need an - ing form of the verb.

What do you think?
Thanks

Answer
Hi, Hame,

The rationale for my answer's correctness lies in the principle of parallel structure. Because you used "to cut" you have to use "to" in the next part to match it. See?  Many would use the "ing" form, but it wouldn't be as correct even if it would be understandable.

take care,

Please rank my answer,

Sally

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.