General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Fit something - fit into something

Question
Dear Ted:

The only part of your answer I don't understand is this:

However, another way to use "fit" cannot be made to use "fit into."

What does it mean? Would you please explain it further?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the sentence "The only part of your answer I don't understand is this" correct or should I have written, "The only part I don't understand of your answer is this" placing the phrase "of your answer" right after "I don't understand"?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** I meant that "fit" can be used in some instances in which "fit into" cannot be used.

*** "the punishment FIT the crime" CANNOT be made into "the punishment FIT INTO the crime."

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the sentence "The only part of your answer I don't understand is
this" correct or should I have written, "The only part I don't understand of
your answer is this" placing the phrase "of your answer" right after "I don't
understand"?

*** Your first version is correct.  Using the colon to introduce the part of my answer is right.  Your second version is really awkward-sounding.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt