General Writing and Grammar Help/One thing leads to another

Question
Dear Ted:

Does the expression/phrase "one thing leads to another" exist?

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me a couple of examples?

By the way, is it an "expression" or a "phrase"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when is it used?

*** It is a commonly used expression.  

EXAMPLES:

The children were playing with matches.  They lit the matches and held the burning wood
as long as they could.  Well, one thing led to another, and they ended up burning down the house.

Jack was a wealthy man who loved to gamble.  His love became an addiction, preventing him from stopping the playing of poker.  As one thing led to another, Jack, once a millionaire, became a beggar living on the streets.

*** Paolo, I am confused about your question:  By the way, is it an "expression" or a "phrase"?

It is very difficult to determine, given that I don't know what you mean by the two terms.
For instance, "to the store" is a preposition PHRASE, but it is certainly NOT what I call an "expression."

"As stubborn as a mule" is a quaint EXPRESSION.  It is also a phrase.  I have been telling you what I think are "expressions" and/or "phrases."  However, I don't know if I'm making a mistake, because I do not know what you mean by either word.  Help me.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt