General Writing and Grammar Help/Think so= Think that?

A: (A is talking to B and C. B and C are a couple) I hope you donít take this the wrong way. You seem like such a conventional married couple.
B and C laugh and then B says: Yeah. Most people think that.

- Dear Sally! Why don't we say "Most people think so" instead of "Most people think that" or they're interchangeable in this context?

Thanks very much, Sally!

hi, Steven,

Both are correct and do mean the same thing. However, they are different in tone or formality.

"Most people think that" has the impression, or connotation of a bit more formality and a slightly more educated tone.

But, the differences are small and not worthy of note unless you're writing fiction or drama. In that case, the characters' backgrounds and the nature of the relationship between the speaker and listener would dictate which version to employ.

I hope that helps.

Please rate my answer.

Best to you,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.

I can answer any grammar, writing, reading, editing and proofreading questions for nonfiction, fiction, literary criticism. I can also help in most content areas except for hard science and narrow areas of history. Specialize in E.S.L. , those with learning disabilities and processing problems. Clarity, fun, and simple answers as well as assisting with improving to excellence.

Many years teaching K - 12 and college-level writing. Degrees in education through doctorate. Published nonfiction and fiction writer.

Publications Google me

B.A., Elementary Ed., social science/language arts concentrations Experience teaching high school and college Master's and doctorate in education Writing instructor at secondary and post-secondary levels, including GRE and SAT preparation high scores on PSAT, SAT, GRE and National Teaching Exams

National Merit Scholar, 1971 Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude, B.A.