General Writing and Grammar Help/Time is up - time is over

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "Time is UP" and "Time is OVER"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** I can think of no situation in which the two phrases cannot be exchanged.  However, "the time is up" is used far more often than "the time is over."

The teacher says, at the end of the class period, "Our time is UP."  She could also say, "The time for our class is OVER."  Both mean the same thing.

EXAMPLES:

You are playing a game with friends.  You must answer a question in 10 seconds.  The leader of the game says, "Paolo, your time is UP."  [time is OVER means the same thing]

There is a well-known song from years ago:  The party's OVER.  It's time to call it a day.
In this instance, OVER is the more appropriate word, since it fits the meter of the line of poetry [lyrics].

In at least 90% of the instances of usage, UP is used much more often than OVER.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt