General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the word "expertise"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I understand the meaning of the words "expertise" and "know-how" correctly. In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. I have computer expertise.
2. I have computer know-how.
3. I learned computer expertise in university.
4. I learned computer know-how in university.
5. I have expertise in computers.
6. I have know-how of computers.
7. Know-how of the computer field is necessary for getting a good job.
8. Expertise in the computer field is necessary for getting a good job.

Answer
Dear Glen:

I'm not sure if I understand the meaning of the words "expertise" and "know-how"
correctly. In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they
grammatically correct?
1. I have computer expertise.
2. I have computer know-how.
5. I have expertise in computers.
6. I have know-how of computers.

*** Glen, "know-how" is a slang expression meaning "expertise."  Thus, in most instance, the two are interchangeable.  I would NOT recommend using "know-how" [also defined as "knowledge"] in formal setting.  Use it for casual conversations or notes ONLY.

All of your sentences are essentially correct.  I don't care for #6.  I tried using prepositions other than "of."  [know-how ABOUT; know-how IN]  None sounded good.  I would never use #6; it just sounds strange.

*** Different subject:

The people at Allexperts kindly sent me a copy of their original invitation to test a new program. [When I responded to the first message, it was removed from my computer!]

Here is what they wrote:

Ted,

We loved your feedback from Glen,

“Dear Ted, I want to wish you Season's Greetings. I can always depend on you to share your knowledge with me and for that I'm eternally grateful. I hope you find yourself in good spirits these days. Sincerely, Glen”

On a rating scale of 1 to 10, your average rating is – well, 10!  How much better does it get?  Congratulations on offering 13-years of valuable information for AllExperts.com.    As one of the highest ranking volunteers in the General Writing and Grammar Help category, we are honored to inform you of a new content platform recently launched.

Glen, your words were in italics and bold type.  Totally all the categories in which I volunteer [or volunteered], I believe I have answered more than 15,000 questions in my 13+ years of volunteering.

Thank you for your comment.  Allexperts "loved" your feedback, and so do I.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt