General Writing and Grammar Help/one way or another

Question
Dear Ted:

Does the expression "one way or another" exist?

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

By the way, is it an "expression" or a "phrase"?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Many times it is difficult to differentiate between a "phrase" and an "expression."  Many phrases are also expression.  And the converse is true.  I think of an "expression" as similar to an "idiom."  The expression may be used in certain areas of the country, but, in other areas, it would not be understood.  I would call "one way or another" an expression, because not all English-speaking people use it.

It does, however, exist and is commonly used in certain areas.

EXAMPLES:

I intend to visit Italy, one way or another.

One way or another, Jennifer will find the money to buy the car she wants.

"One way or another" means "by any or all means possible."  This expression is related to another:  "By hook or by crook."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt