General Writing and Grammar Help/The word/verb "feature or to feature"

Hello Sally,

I am confused about the word "feature." Can I use it as a verb, for example in the following sentences?

The website features an online community
The community features a discussion forum
The manual features a new design

Is there a better verb to use instead of "to feature", or are the sentences correct?

Thank you for your help

Hi, Vera,

All three are fine English uses of the verb "feature." It is used in the sense of "highlights" or "focuses upon" rather than just "includes."

If the website or manual doesn't make the stated component the main attraction or central section, giving it a prime location or importance, "includes" is a better verb.

Best to you.

Please rate my answer.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.

I can answer any grammar, writing, reading, editing and proofreading questions for nonfiction, fiction, literary criticism. I can also help in most content areas except for hard science and narrow areas of history. Specialize in E.S.L. , those with learning disabilities and processing problems. Clarity, fun, and simple answers as well as assisting with improving to excellence.

Many years teaching K - 12 and college-level writing. Degrees in education through doctorate. Published nonfiction and fiction writer.

Publications Google me

B.A., Elementary Ed., social science/language arts concentrations Experience teaching high school and college Master's and doctorate in education Writing instructor at secondary and post-secondary levels, including GRE and SAT preparation high scores on PSAT, SAT, GRE and National Teaching Exams

National Merit Scholar, 1971 Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude, B.A.