General Writing and Grammar Help/Stand BY someone - stand WITH someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to stand BY someone" and "to stand WITH someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

*** I am almost certain I have answered this question before.

STAND BY -- I will show my support for my friend by standing by him when everyone else is against him.

STAND BY = help or support

STAND WITH -- When it came time to vote, I chose to stand with my closest friend, even though we were greatly outnumbered by our opponents.

STAND WITH = join a person or person in solidarity.

STAND BY is usually more personal.  In other words, you would NOT stand by complete strangers.

STAND WITH generally means that you align yourself with a cause or movement.

*** There is one special usage for "stand with."  If your friends chooses you to be the best man at his wedding, you will, quite literally, stand with at the altar.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt