General Writing and Grammar Help/Get the most out of something

Question
Dear Ted:

When should I use "to get the most out of something"?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, is it possible to "get the most out of SOMEONE"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** You use this expression when you have invested something of yourself -- your time or your money, for instance -- and you are expecting some kind of "return" on your investment.

EXAMPLES:

Since you paid a great deal of money to take the special writing course, you should get the most out of it by attending all of the class sessions.

I spent a lot of time on my science project, and I hope to get the most out of it by receiving a high grade from my teacher.

Would you please give me some examples?

*** It is not "usual," but, in certain instances, it can be used.  

EXAMPLE:

I am always helping my mother clean the kitchen.  Someday, I hope to get the most out of her by having her teach me how to cook.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt