General Writing and Grammar Help/BY

Question
Hi

What does BY in the following conversation mean?

A: When do you usually get to work?

B: BY eight thirty.

Thanks

Answer
Dear Farhad:

A: When do you usually get to work?

B: BY eight thirty.

**** B's answer is probably NOT what A expected.  A is asking for the "usual time" when B's work ends.  

B cannot give a specific answer, which means that, at certain times, he may have to work past his regular schedule OR he may be permitted to leave work a few minutes early.  When B uses "by," he is signaling that he cannot give a specific time.  The preposition "by" can be replaced with another preposition, "ABOUT eight thirty."

If B "always" leaves at the same time, his response would be "AT eight thirty."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt