General Writing and Grammar Help/2....

Question
Hello

Hope you are fine.

What doe the following sentences mean?

1)I have worked hard on my English.

Here is my question: Does the sentence mean that "I" am STILL working on my English?

2) I have thought about writing Peter a letter.

My question: Does the sentence mean that "I" am STILL thinking about writing Peter a letter?

Thank you
Wish you all the best
Hame

Answer
Hi Hame!

Sorry again for the late reply!

Neither statement NECESSARILY means that the subjet is still doing the action.  In other words, it might be true, it might not be.  We cannot know for sure based on those statements.

In order to indicate that an action has happened for a certain period of time AND the subject is STILL doing it, we have to use - maybe you've already guessed it - the present perfect continuous.  We'd have to say:

1. I have BEEN workING hard on my English.

2. I have BEEN THINKING about writing Peter a letter.

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Brian